Last Updated on February 23, 2023 by Marjon Ramos
It’s okay to give your rabbits ice cubes, especially if it’s hot where you are from. It would help your rabbit cool down by licking them. Just make sure that you’re only giving regular ice to your rabbits and avoid flavored ice at all costs.
You could also freeze some vegetables like carrots or broccoli as a safe alternative to ice cubes to help your rabbits cool down when it’s humid and hot.
Now that I’ve given you the gist of the article, read on as I explain in more detail why rabbits can eat ice:
Table of Contents
Will rabbits intentionally eat ice?
Some rabbits would lick it, and some would ignore it. It boils down to your rabbit’s personality.
We’ve surveyed a few rabbit owners to see if they ever noticed their rabbits eating ice. The responses were mixed. Some rabbit owners reported that their rabbits would only lick it during the summer when it’s hot.
Other rabbit owners reported that their rabbits ignored the ice and had to resort to placing a cold water bottle near their rabbits during the summer.
Alternatives to ice to cool your rabbits.
While ice cubes are safe to give to your rabbits to help them cool down, some rabbits dislike ice and will ignore it.
Here are some alternatives to ice to help your rabbits cool down:
- Put an ice cube in their water bowl. Placing a few ice cubes in your rabbit’s water bowl would help your rabbit cool down.
- Place a cold water bottle near your rabbit. If your rabbits dislike ice and refuse to lick it, you could place a cold water bottle near them to help them cool down.
- Place a cold towel near your rabbit. A cold towel could also work; just keep an eye on your rabbits to make sure they won’t eat the towel. Don’t place a wet towel directly on your rabbit, just place it near them.
- Place an electric fan near your rabbit. You can provide additional air circulation by placing an electric fan near your rabbits when it’s hot. Just make sure that you place both the fan and your rabbits in a well-ventilated area. Some rabbits would likely get scared if it’s their first time encountering an electric fan. Keep an eye out if your rabbits dislike the sound of the fan.
- Provide your rabbits with the proper shade. Make sure that your rabbits are not in direct sunlight, especially in summer. Rabbits are susceptible to heatstroke due to their thick fur.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
Can rabbits eat ice cream?
No, don’t give your rabbits ice cream. Rabbits should not eat dairy products or foods that have a lot of sugar in them. Feeding your rabbits ice cream could lead to dangerous digestive distress.
Can rabbits eat ice lollies/pops?
No, don’t give your rabbits ice lollies. Ice lollies are full of sugar. Giving your rabbits ice lollies could lead to digestive distress. You could make your own ice lollies by freezing broccoli or carrots.
Can rabbits have brain freeze when eating ice?
Yes, rabbits can get brain freeze when eating ice. Your rabbit’s likely reaction to a brain freeze would be to run away and be confused as to what happened.
You can give ice to your rabbits as long as it’s regular ice. Avoid flavored ice because it could lead to digestive distress due to its sugar content.
Ice is a great way to cool down a rabbit, especially in the summer when rabbits are susceptible to heatstroke and dehydration. Just place a few ice cubes in their water bowl and let them lick or bite them.
As an alternative, you can also place a cold water bottle near your rabbits to cool them down.
- Can Rabbits Eat Asparagus? 9 things you need to know.
- Can Rabbits Eat Tomatoes? What You Need To Know.
- Can Rabbits Eat Watermelon? What You Need To Know.
- Can Rabbits Eat Grapes? What You Need To Know.
- Can Rabbits Eat Broccoli? What You Need To Know.
- Can Rabbits Eat Apples? What You Need To Know.
- Can Rabbits Eat Cabbages? What You Need To Know.
- Can Rabbits Eat Strawberries? What You Need To Know.
- Can Rabbits Eat Bananas? What You Need To Know.
- Can Rabbits Eat Oranges? 9 things you need to know.
- Can Rabbits Eat Blueberries? Here’s Why.
- Can Rabbits Eat Spinach? Your Questions Answered.
- Can Rabbits Eat Cucumbers? Here’s Why.
- Can Rabbits Eat Celery? What you need to know.
- Can Rabbits Eat Radishes: Everything You Need To Know
Sources and further reading
- Buseth, Marit Emilie., and Richard A. Saunders. Rabbit Behaviour, Health, and Care. CABI, 2014.
- Lebas, F. The Rabbit: Husbandry, Health, and Production. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, 1997.
- Patry, Karen, et al. The Rabbit-Raising Problem Solver: Your Questions Answered about Housing, Feeding, Behavior, Health Care, Breeding, and Kindling. Storey
- Heatstroke in rabbits
Read our latest posts